Feeling overreactive or inactive? You may consider checking-in with your third chakra. Your Solar Plexus chakra, or Manipura, is the seat of your will power, self-esteem, and your ability to transform and take action. Digestive health, yoga, meditation, and breathwork all work towards strengthening and balancing your Manipura to encourage proactive living.
Located above your belly button and beneath your rib cage, your Manipura governs your digestive organs. The conversion of food to energy fuels the stamina and confidence we need to live our life filled with integrity and purpose. In Ayurvedic medicine, this metabolic process is known as Agni. To protect the natural essence of your Agni, try practicing mindful and intuitive eating, focusing on the nutrition you are offering your body. (Learn more on tending to Agni, your digestive fire.)
Fire is Manipura’s element, and tending to this fire, is essential for successfully manifesting intentions. Through each of the following poses, envision a yellow light, or sunlight at your core, above your belly button.
- Flow through Sun Salutation type B, guided by steady breathing for a dynamic way to build heat and to encourage a healthy flow of energy. Notice how the engagement of your core has to be balanced here as under engagement can place stress on your back. Take your time in warrior 1 pose to observe whatever arises.
- Ignite your inner fire with core-strengthening poses. Visualize the powerful light of the sun radiating with Boat pose and othertapas building poses.
- Camel pose is simultaneously a vulnerable and immensely powerful pose. Be gentle and take your time here, always guided by your breath. This pose can be physically challenging and deeply emotional since this backbend opens your upper chakras, allowing for deep-rooted emotions to resurface. Great for improving digestion, blood circulation, and spinal flexibility.
- To counterpose core exercises and backbends try Child’s pose, seated spinal twist, and seated forward bend. Rest here. Your counterposes are immensely important for encouraging balance and preventing injuries as you engage target areas.
Meditation and Breathwork
- There are several breathwork exercises that are beneficial for the solar plexus, withUddiyana or Agni Sara exercises being especially helpful.
- Mantras to use for meditation: I am powerful…. I own my power… I honor my health and happiness… I act with courage...
By Hannah Parks; All Rights Reserved @2020