The digestive tract is one of the body systems that research has shown to be most positively influenced by essential oils. Good digestive health can do a lot to make us feel strong, energized, and healthy. By the same token, digestive distress can do much more than just give us an upset stomach—it can contribute to lowered immunity, weight gain, energy deficiencies, and other issues in the body.
Instead of suffering through the unpleasant effects of digestive distress, the use of essential oils can help promote a healthy, happy digestive system. Whether used to address acute discomfort or to support overall wellness, anise, peppermint, ginger, caraway, coriander, tarragon and fennel essential oils are some of the most effective aids that help promote healthy digestion.
- Anise oil is shown to promote relaxation of the digestive tract.
- Peppermint oil can reduce gas and bloating.
- Ginger has been used for centuries to alleviate nausea due to its high concentration of sesquiterpenes.
- Fennel can be used as a powerful digestive stimulant or for its antispasmodic properties. Research has shown that simple inhalation of fennel may impart a calming and invigorating effect.
- Caraway is from the same botanical family as anise and fennel, and is another essential oil that has a long history of use as a digestive aid, especially when combined with peppermint.
- Tarragon is an herb used extensively in ayurvedic and Chinese health practices to ease discomfort.
- Coriander is one of the world’s oldest used spices, used for health purposes by the Babylonians. Can specifically alleviate stomach pains and joint discomfort.
If you’re looking for a blend, DoTerra makes an essential oil digestive blend combining all of these herbs.
Essential oils can be applied directly to the inside of your wrists, diffused, or lightly sprayed. Some essential oils may be ingested with a carrier oil, but please research each essential oil to assess safety.