Mats come in all kinds of materials, colors, sizes, and flavors. Some smell like flowers, some look like they should be in a museum, and others feel so soft I want to wear them around my shoulders like a bunch of blankets. Over my years as a yoga practitioner, yoga teacher, and yoga learner, I’ve tried as many mats as I can to find the right one for me. As I learn and grow in this life, my wants shift and change along with the brand of my new favorite mat.
Here is a comprehensive comparison of six mats that I’ve tried and loved.
- Comes in a wide variety of super cool colors
- Made of 100% rubber with no PVC, EVA, or other synthetic rubber which makes it seriously non-slip, especially when sweaty (very important to me since my hands and feet sweat profusely)
- Comes in three lengths - 68”, 71”, 74” - and two widths - 24” or 28” - so you can customize it to your body
- Jade plants a tree for every mat sold and some colors have different charities they contribute to as well
- Made with sustainable, all natural cork on one side and eco-friendly TPE (thermoplastic elastomer - a mix of plastic and rubber) on the other
- Cork is antimicrobial and literally repels germs and odor with its closed cell design
- Weighs only 1 lb so hello healthy back lifting you out of my trunk!
- Feels insanely cushiony because of the rubber bottom
- Designed by Sara Chambers (founder of Hugger Mugger) and based on her original, first ever USA-made mat made specifically for yoga practice
- Available in three lengths - 68”, 74”, 80” - and weighs only 2.4 pounds
- Made of heavy metal & phthalate-free PVC that is long lasting and durable
- Extremely affordable!
- Made from biodegradable, non-Amazon harvested, natural tree rubber with non-toxic foaming agents and non-AZO dyes
- Super durable and long lasting with a tacky, rippled texture that sticks to your hands
- Comes in many thicknesses - 1.5mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm
- Feels bouncy and dense but light
- Crazy easy to travel with as it folds into a square the size of a yoga block!
- Thickness (1.5mm) and weight (1.5 lbs) contribute to the portability of this mat and ensure that wherever you go, you will be able to practice safely
- Surprisingly durable for the size
- Grippy traction is not compromised in any way with the surface of the mat
- Improves with use over time so what might feel slippery at first will get better as it gets used to you
- OEKO-TEX certified, emissions-free manufacturing, and sustainable engineering ensures high quality material will not peel, flake, or fade
- 5mm thickness protects joints and provides superior cushion
- Closed-cell surface keeps moisture and sweat from seeping into the mat and breeding bacteria
What's your favorite mat?
By Fae Leslie Hoffman; All Rights Reserved @2019